Navigating Special Enrollment: Rules for Moving or Losing Coverage

Team Orca
Dec 2, 2023

Moving or losing your health insurance coverage can be a hassle. The good news is that special enrollment periods (SEPs) exist to provide you with the opportunity to enroll in a new plan outside of the annual open enrollment period. Get ready to dive into the world of SEPs and learn everything you need to know.

Outside of the Annual Open Enrollment Period, you must experience a Qualifying Life Event (QLE) in order to change your health insurance enrollment. QLEs include: 

  • Losing Coverage
  • Moving
  • Household Changes (e.g. getting married, having a baby, etc)

If you experience one of these life events, get in touch with the Venteur Customer Support Team. We'll walk you through the following process.

Step 1: Provide Proof of Your Qualifying Life Event

Insurers will ask for verification of your QLE. You typically have 60 days from the date that your QLE took place in order to change your coverage.

Imagine this scenario: you recently got married and need to add your spouse to your health insurance plan. Without providing proof of your marriage, you won't be able to take advantage of the special enrollment period that allows you to make changes to your coverage outside of the annual open enrollment period. Proof, in this case, would be your marriage certificate, which serves as the official documentation of your union.

Different qualifying life events may require specific types of documentation. For example, if you recently had a child, you may need to provide a birth certificate or hospital records to prove the addition of a new family member.

Step 2: Change or Update Your Health Plan

Venteur will open a Special Open Enrollment in your account so that you can make updates or change your health plan.

If you lose coverage or move, you will be able to pick a brand new health insurance plan.

If you have a baby, you can add them to your existing policy or buy a whole new plan for them. However, you won't be able to change your own health insurance enrollment.

Step 3: Submit Your Change to Your Insurance Carrier or the Health Insurance Marketplace

Venteur will assist you in submitting your documentation to your insurance carrier or the health insurance marketplace. We will also assist you in making changes or updates to your insurance policy.

Whether you're getting married, starting a family, or experiencing a change in employment, Venteur is here to help. With our expert assistance, you can navigate the complexities of special enrollment with confidence and ease.

Copy link
By subscribing you agree to with our Privacy Policy.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
© 2023 Venteur Inc. All right reserved.
This website is operated by Venteur, Inc. and Venteur Insurance Services LLC and is not the Health Insurance Marketplace® website. In offering this website, Venteur Inc. is required to comply with all applicable federal law, including the standards established under 45 CFR §155.220(c) and (d) and standards established under 45 CFR §155.260 to protect the privacy and security of personally identifiable information. This website may not display all data on Qualified Health Plans being offered in your state through the Health Insurance Marketplace® website. To see all available data on Qualified Health Plan options in your state, go to the Health Insurance Marketplace® website at HealthCare.gov.